NROTC Scholarship... getting antsy

mich_navy747

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
3
I, like a few others on the forum applied for the NROTC scholarship back in December. I have been accepted to two NROTC schools and the one which I would like to attend--University of Washington--has first come first serve on housing. They said they would let people know of their application status through April, but housing opens soon and I don't want to be left with nowhere to live. If I do not get this scholarship I will not be attending this University because of costs. Please, if anyone filed an application around December I would love to know if they have found out anything new yet. As of now it just reads that all of my info has been processed and that no decision has been made.
 

CC_Candidate

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
88
I was put into an "immediate reservation" process back in December. Based on what I understood, it meant that I would know my status in the next month or so. I have yet to hear anything from NROTC. The only difference is that my application package is now viewable on the website. No decision has been made on it though.
 

inthenavy2008

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
170
The way the process was explained to my son was that the sooner the NROTC application was submitted, the more times it will be looked at by the review board. His was submitted in early September and he was advised of being nominated for the scholarship in early December.

If you submitted your application in December, it may have only been looked at once or twice by now. But, at the same time, applications received earlier are being looked at again along with yours. That's the nature of the competition.

Why not try getting more information from your recruiter?
 

Simayan

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
39
Mich_navy, I'm in the same situation as you. Still waiting, and my online app says "No decision has been made".
 

airforce16

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
51
I got my phone call today and I nailed a NROTC scholarship to Purdue University, but I have already punched my ticket to USAFA and have no intentions on changing, but I might hold on just awhile in case something were to happen...

Dont burn your bridges to quickly or else you might get stranded on a deserted island... ;)

Good luck, and I am sure you will get word soon... :)
 

Luigi59

Banned
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
4,628
I got my phone call today and I nailed a NROTC scholarship to Purdue University, but I have already punched my ticket to USAFA and have no intentions on changing, but I might hold on just awhile in case something were to happen...
If you have received your USAFA appointment and NOT accepted it yet, then it is perfectly alright to hold on to both until you take that final (final!) decision to accept one or the other. You earned both, your hard work has put you in the position of having a choice, more power to you, etc etc. :thumb:

However, if you have already accepted your USAFA appointment, then "holding on" to any other ROTC offers or failing to decline any other academy appointments is unethical. :thumbdown:
 

airforce16

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
51
Well I called my local ROTC contact and he told me straight up that he feels I should hold onto it for awhile longer, what if I were to break a bone or something else go horribly wrong? I would lose my appointment and be stuck in a very horrible position... I earned the spot and although it may be holding someone else back, to burn all my options as soon as they come in would be dumb in itself for it would leave me without... I in no means am trying to sound rude but you must understand where I am coming from... :frown:
 

Just_A_Mom

10-Year Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
4,826
However, if you have already accepted your USAFA appointment, then "holding on" to any other ROTC offers or failing to decline any other academy appointments is unethical. :thumbdown:
not unethical at all... Airforce16 is absolutely correct. If one should get injured or sick they may still be able to utilize their ROTC scholarship if they get turned back or can't report as scheduled.

He earned it - he gets to keep it as long as he needs it.
 

mich_navy747

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
3
Thanks for all of your feedback everyone. I still don't know when I will find out, just keep me posted if anyone has more news.
And, congrats Airforce16. That's pretty exciting to have those two great offers!
 

VMINROTChopeful

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
277
I, like a few others on the forum applied for the NROTC scholarship back in December. I have been accepted to two NROTC schools and the one which I would like to attend--University of Washington--has first come first serve on housing. They said they would let people know of their application status through April, but housing opens soon and I don't want to be left with nowhere to live. If I do not get this scholarship I will not be attending this University because of costs. Please, if anyone filed an application around December I would love to know if they have found out anything new yet. As of now it just reads that all of my info has been processed and that no decision has been made.
"ww2buff" just posted the schedule for future nrotc scholarship selection board meetings here: :thumb:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...lis/410968-2008-navy-rotc-scholarships-3.html
 

navyhopeful

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
7
no word, either

My son applied in October; no word yet. Like you, I am antsy. Odd, but he doesn't seem too fazed.

Good luck!
 
Top