Plan B schools

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by Lazyboy, Jan 3, 2018.

  1. Lazyboy

    Lazyboy Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    144
    How many non SA schools are young men and women applying to? Is this something that should not be announced or discussed openly? I don’t see many discussions about the other applications.
     
  2. MichaelW22

    MichaelW22 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2017
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    31
    I applied to three universities, one SMC, and the Naval Academy.
     
  3. JRS92078

    JRS92078 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2017
    Messages:
    175
    Likes Received:
    129
    My DS also applied to 3 others
     
  4. Ex.BT.USN

    Ex.BT.USN 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    345
    My DD applied to a total of 11 outside of the Naval Academy

    5 NROTC (all in her wheelhouse)
    1 Reach
    4 Normal college experience, all in her wheelhouse
    1 Safety

    A through E plans.
     
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. Dadx4

    Dadx4 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2015
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    199
    I guess it depends on one's profile and desired major. For instance, my DS has average grades and standardized scores. Just borderline IMO for academy consideration or selective schools with his major (aerospace or astronautical). Therefore, he applied to alot more Plan B schools. A Type I AFROTC Scholarship was incentive to expand his search and cast a wider net, including a safety school, a few matches, and more reaches.
     
    robballin likes this.
  6. Dadx4

    Dadx4 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2015
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    199
    From another post, if you don't win your nomination slate, and you aren't in the top 150 on the NWL, then the Plan B needs to be a good one!
     
    Patriot4Life likes this.
  7. Lazyboy

    Lazyboy Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    144
    I’d love to know the typical numbers of those 150!

    My DS applied to 10 schools on the common app, including 2 Ivy, 5 “little Ivy”, and a SUNY school.
     
  8. SailorMum

    SailorMum Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2017
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    19
    My DS applied to four of five SAs, as well as all ROTC branches - and then felt obligated to apply to all the schools with ROTC programs he had listed on his apps. Certainly a "one thing led to another" process. But we felt like the numerous interviews and filling out civilian school, as well as SA, applications were all beneficial in the grand scheme of things. He accepted his offer of appointment to USNA last night, and was advised by his BGO to go ahead and withdraw all other apps in progress, as well as decline the ROTC scholarships and civilian school offers - in writing. He said this saves other academies and schools precious time in their deliberations, since DS has already made his choice.
     
  9. Ex.BT.USN

    Ex.BT.USN 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    345
    SalorMum,

    First and foremost congratulations. Respectfully, just some friendly advise pull back the declines if it’s not too late. Although your DS is in good shape you will want something in your brest pocket as security. Wait until you can no longer wait.

    Without speaking the negative the term “bubble wrap” is used for kids that get accepted in addition to what I noted. Hold on to a backup.

    Cheers
     
    SailorMum, NovaGrad and TrueBlue88 like this.
  10. Dadx4

    Dadx4 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2015
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    199
    Congratulations! Did he have an LOA?
     
  11. NovaGrad

    NovaGrad Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    101
    Everything I have read on this forum and advice from individuals who have gone through the process suggests that SA bound appointees keep a plan B in place till they are safely on campus for I day. So many things can occur between now and late June. Spring sports injuries, car accidents, or just kids being kids and making a stupid mistake like underage drinking(and getting caught). DD is still waiting to hear about SA decisions like most but she already accepted and will keep her AROTC scholarship in place until she shows up to I day. Plenty of threads on this subject and could keep you busy for a day or two reviewing them. Congratulations to your DS appointment to USNA!!!
     
  12. Sydney C.

    Sydney C. 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    651
    Likes Received:
    858
    Far be it for me to disagree with a BGO on any academy matters but in this instance, au contraire mon frère.
    My own kiddo withdrew his app to a Plan B school (it took everything on earth to get him to even apply to a Plan B school) and you guessed it....just a few weeks before I-Day he sustained a sports injury and was turned away.
    Literally had to beg and cajole Plan B school to get in for two semesters. It all worked out in the end but you don't want to go through that, believe me.
    You do what you think is best, but also here to tell you that these things do happen and having that back-up plan in place is peace of mind and prudent planning in MHO.
     
  13. Ex.BT.USN

    Ex.BT.USN 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    345
    SailorMum,

    The one example given by Sydney C. is something to think about. It is exactly what Nova and I were getting at. Try to get the other options back; it shouldn’t be too late.
     
    SailorMum and justdoit19 like this.
  14. TrueBlue88

    TrueBlue88 Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2017
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    48
    My DS is in a similar position. He was recently offered an appointment to his first choice SA with an LOA to his second choice. He is really excited and wants to accept immediately. However, if he he does accept this offer, then I think he is obligated to withdraw/decline all other applications/acceptances/college-directed scholarship competitions. He still has a very high-contact varsity spring sport to play of which he is captain. So no “bubble wrap” for him. He is not worried but his parents don’t want him to be left with nothing if injured before I-Day. Above comments are greatly appreciated. Anyone’s advice with experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
     
    hthp37 and SailorMum like this.
  15. justdoit19

    justdoit19 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Messages:
    1,473
    Likes Received:
    1,538
    Other than USNA and USAFA, DS applied to NROTC and AFROTC, received scholarships to both and has admission to those schools. He applied to his first and second choices....not all the way down to #5. Similar to what has already been said, he will keep his ROTC's as 'plan B', JUST IN CASE. I did spend hours reading around about this, and I feel it is very prudent to keep options open. His plan B programs knew he was applying to the academies.

    He accepted his appointment last night, but holding on to the other options should they be needed (seriously just knocked on wood...). And BTW, our BGO advised to keep plan B as well as the bubble wrap purchase! DS has wrestling to finish out, and then track. Never been more nervous watching his seasons than now :(
     
    SailorMum and DrMom like this.
  16. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,676
    Likes Received:
    673
    Lots of older (often contentious) threads about Plan B options. It is only early January and as mentioned above a lot can happy between now and time someone actually starts an SA. About the only thing that wouldn't make sense would be to accept appointments to multiple SA's as the chance of injury would equally impact all of them.
     
  17. G-Man'sMom

    G-Man'sMom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2017
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    143
    Having a Plan B (civilian college, ROTC) is a great idea. However, I do not believe that you are allowed to accept more than one appointment to a SA.
     
    SailorMum likes this.
  18. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,676
    Likes Received:
    673
    Not aware of any specific rule that prevents accepting multiple SA appointments as each SA runs their own process. My comment was more along the lines of it wouldn't make sense to have a different SA as a plan B option.
     
    SailorMum likes this.
  19. SailorMum

    SailorMum Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2017
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    19
    Yes, LOA arrived online Oct 2. Everyone breathed a sign of relief until we realized it might still be challenging to secure the nomination. Thankfully, he received that on Dec. 20. It was a pretty great Christmas gift!
     
  20. SailorMum

    SailorMum Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2017
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    19
    Keeping the Plan B sounds wise, thanks for above discussions. It is not too late, as my son hasn't made moves to decline anything yet. I will talk over with DS this evening. Like many of your young people, he still has to get through Basketball + Wrestling seasons and then Track. After Football + Cross Country were complete without injury, we let our guard down a little bit. But these are good reminders that things can still happen in these other sports. And, my son does ski. We will, however, deny him the funds to sky-dive and bungee jump.
     
    Tucker2023 and justdoit19 like this.