ROTC 4-year scholarship

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by Zashmaster, Feb 11, 2017.

  1. Zashmaster

    Zashmaster New Member

    Feb 8, 2016
    Likes Received:
    I just received the 4-year Army ROTC scholarship for my number one choice of college, however, I'm not sure what I want to major it. I have been contemplating either a path in engineering, business, or biology. I applied to the scholarship under biology, and as I said I received the scholarship. As of right now, I believe my number one career choice is to become a physician's assistant. However, that requires 2-3 years of schooling after receiving my undergrad. My question is, would I be able to do this schooling before my required military service? I feel if I were to have to wait until after my 8 years of service I would not be eligible to apply to physician's assistant programs due to the large gap between my biology degree and applying for PA school. Also, if I were to switch to engineering or business would I be able to go get my masters in either during my years of required service?
  2. DrMom

    DrMom 5-Year Member

    Aug 25, 2011
    Likes Received:
    There are educational delays to get additional medical or other graduate level training. I do not know if PA qualifies. There are many career fields in the Army that will also send you to earn a graduate degree while you are serving but each year of education comes with additional years of payback. It is best to major in the thing you wish to study that best matches your interests. Have you thought about med school?
    Dckc88 likes this.
  3. Dckc88

    Dckc88 Member

    Dec 10, 2015
    Likes Received:
    Education delay's are not guaranteed and rare. I was at an informational meeting for my daughter's school and the ROO said the only ED's he has seen in recent years are biology majors going to medical school. This could be the same for PA's, just depends on the Army's direction. And you would only be AD for 4 years, so you could attend school in 4 years, not 8. The last 4 are IRR, so you are inactive but they could call you back for needs of the Army. So technically you could go to school. If you don't get an ED, you can try to branch something medical (no guarantee) which would also give you a good up on your application. Many PA schools like to see work experience between undergraduate and graduate school anyway. Your PA path might work out perfectly and in a straight line, or you might get there a different way, or a whole different door could open for you. Just breathe, it will be okay. Getting your undergrad done, paid for, and some work experience as an officer is a great start to any career, including one in the medical field!
    inSANEmom likes this.
  4. inSANEmom

    inSANEmom Member

    Sep 1, 2016
    Likes Received:
    Also remember that if you serve 6 years of active duty, you will earn the Post 9-11 GI Bill. This can be used for graduate school... so if you can't get an ED, you could graduate after 4 years, go active duty for 6, and then go right back to school. I know that seems like a really long time (especially to someone young like you) but it really isn't. And the benefit is that you will have life experience and no college debt to get a undergrad AND grad degree. Trust me, it's worth the longer timeline for that. Good luck!