Eyes and Vision Disqualifications
Below is a listing of those eye and vision disqualifi cations that are the most prevalent. This listing, while comprehensive, does not contain all possible disqualifications for eyes and vision.
1) Vision not correctable to 20/20 in both eyes is disqualifying. Refractive error exceeding + or –6.00 diopters and astigmatism exceeding 3.00 diopters is disqualifying.
2) Substandard color vision is disqualifying. Requests for waiver of the color vision standard are normally not considered. Color vision is also retested on Induction Day.
3) Many chronic eye diseases/conditions such as keratoconus, glaucoma, optic atrophy, uveitis and retinal degenerations are disqualifying. A waiver is normally not considered.
4) Procedures to change the refraction (refractive surgery) including but not limited to: Lamellar and/or penetrating keratoplasty, radial keratotomy and astigmatic keratotomy is disqualifying. Refractive surgery performed with an Excimer Laser, including but not limited to, Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK), and Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is disqualifying if any of the follow conditions are met: the pre-operative refractive error exceeded +6.00 or –6.00 diopters (spherical component only) in either eye, pre-operative astigmatism exceeded 3.00 diopters, at least six-month recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and accession medical exam, there have been complications and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions required and post-surgical refraction in
each eye is not stable.
5) If you wear glasses or contact lenses, take them with you to your DoDMERB eye examination. If you wear soft contact lenses, do not use them during the three days preceding your examination. Do not use hard or gas permeable lenses for 21 days before your examination. If you are undergoing orthokeratology or other forms of corneal refractive treatment, do not use your rigid lenses for 90 days.
from the USNA Catalog