Discussion in 'Coast Guard Academy - USCGA' started by 808Ohana, Mar 15, 2018.
Anxiety hits everyday..praying for that call or emailMy son went for RA...anyone got notified yet?
Those in the appointment thread notified after December were also RA. Waiting is very challenging but you can't do anything except pray and keep your AO informed of additional info :/
It helped me to concentrate on other things and make memories in the present
you should try going through it 2 years in a row ... its a real blast - but no relief beats when you get the all good - until you start thinking about the next steps
I hear ya. It's been nearly 5 months since DS applied. Only notification we have gotten is an email in January that his application was to be sent to the cadet candidate review board. I guess we will hear something in the next 10 days.
Saguaroman - did DS get a request for physical? We haven't even received that, which we know isn't good at all, yet we are still in the "game".
I'm no poker face though - every trip to the mailbox is taken with trepidation, and every refresh of Bear's Den is as well. We are hoping her phone will ring rather than finding that dreaded envelope, tucked in between 10% off carpet cleaning and car wash coupons. I am imagining there are a rather large number of active applications being bandied about for a rather small number of remaining spots, and that it is a function of divining intangibles at this point. As noted by many others however, I am aware that I have zero factual insight into what goes on behind the curtain.
they do not mail letters. DS got notice in Bear’s Den rather than TWE. He had applied Early Decision.
It was my understanding (not a solid understanding, I admit) that the appointments thus far had primarily come via phone call from AO or coach, and the We Regret To Inform You news was delivered via USPS. Not always the case? On BD the "Cadet Candidate Evaluation Board Review Complete" box is not yet checked. I have been making the presumption that once checked additional verbiage would show indicating the results of the decision.
Basically I cycle through her e-mail, BD, look at the phone, check the mailbox several times a day, marvel at how little time is left, and not try to avoid daydreaming or being fatalistic. I fail at that endeavor however and just oscillate between the two as the countdown slowly dwindles. My daughter is playing it cool on the outside but we are two of kind. I know there is a lot going on underneath.
Yes, my DS got the request for a physical and is qualified per DODMERB. Did you contact your AO? No response at this point does seem odd. I agree about the anxiety level. Our family is a bit tense at the moment since crunch time is coming within the next 10 days. It's been slowly building for 5 months. We continually discuss plan B, C, etc but DS isn't nearly as excited when compared to CGA plan A.
She did check in with her AO and he matter of factly confirmed that they had not requested a physical, but would do so if an appointment were offered. That indicated to me (according to my tea leaves) that she was judged to be academically non-competitive, but that her intangibles (her personality, "fit", leadership acumen, PFE, extracurricular achievements, ACT and strength of interview) were keeping her from being outright denied.
She got into my alma mater, which is a good in-state school, but as I will quickly attest, it is not the CGA. Her team captains from previous years are there, and some current team mates are on their way as well, so her Plan B is firm, and would be most people's Plan A . However we never crewed a boat to Newport, climbed the mast of a ship at sea, or did 5,000 other things cadets will do. No comparison between the two schools and their corresponding opportunities. At this point I am trying to be realistic in hoping that she is still in the running at least for a shot at CGAS. I attended a 4 year military high school, and while I know that year would be no joy if offered, the price is very small for the reward.
Edit: she submitted app 11/5. Seems like forever ago.
DS simply got an email his Bear’s Den had a decision. Same way he was notified for AIM. He got the DODMERB request for USMMA but CGA must have initiated as well because both were processed.
DS received a phone call from CGA, 2 weeks before his high school graduation, May 2016. Plan B n C were, accepted! It was happy ending but I really don’t recommend it to anyone. But guest what?? We are doing it again, DS#2! Waiting for AIM acceptance started....DS#1 applied EA!
Good luck May 1 for AIM. DS loved it and was crushed by his CGA rejection....
CGAS program makes up a big portion of the class.
DD just received a call from her AO. Conditional appointment. Now the excruciating wait for a waiver. Been through this before, and it does not get any easier. Good thing her worst-case is actually pretty darned good!
Sounds like the waivers typically come through. Congratulations! What a beautiful moment for you and your daughter today!
DS still hasn't heard anything. Application went for review late January. Recruited athlete. Not sure what to make of his application at this point.
Is no news good news with a week left?
Maybe reach out to the coach that recruited him ... coach may be able to check on status, or find out what review group son is/was in - maybe it hasn't gone yet ...
DS heard via Bears Den that a decision was made last March 30. I know it is agonizing, but you need to be patient and wait....
Since April 1 is Easter Sunday, and (Good) Friday is apparently a holiday as there are no admissions events on the calendar, I think it is very likely that the final admissions decisions will be released by the end of this week. Early admissions decisions were completed by 12/22, the Friday before Christmas.
Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Separate names with a comma.