Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by Sam2018, Aug 1, 2016.
DS received an email this morning that his portal is open. Let the fun begin
My son received the same email. !
Wow, how time flies. last year it was my son who was getting exited about his portal being active, and working on the application and everything else. Now he is at West Point, and I am posting pictures of him with a helmet on and a rifle in his hands. This all went by in a blur.
Good luck to all of you.
DS in same boat. Let the fun begin! Good luck to all! Let's do this!
Hi - Unfortunately, my application portal is the same, unopened. It does mention earliest availability being 7/31. Am I screwed? Anyone else in the same boat?
"This evaluation will not begin until July 31, 2016 at the earliest for most candidates to USMA 2021."
No you're good mine says the same thing. Checked with my liaison officer she said everything is fine and to just be patient.
Update 8/5/16 afternoon - Still NOT opened for me.
Thanks for checking with your L.O., Pinkroyal.
Still not opened for me. I've tried calling my field force rep, but the person hasn't returned my calls. Is it just me?
Allow me to share my stats; am I not competitive enough?
1. GPA: 3.92 Weighted / 3.73 Unweighted (President's Award all 3 years)
2. Class Rank: 35 out of 353
Note: The current application portal doesn't even have an entry for GPA or Class Rank, so USMA wouldn't be able to assess me based on 1 & 2.
3. ACT: 27 (30 math, 21 reading, 28 for both science & reading, 24 writing) = Too low to be considered???
4. SAT (pre-March 2015): 690 math, 540 reading, 620 writing = Too low to be considered???
4. Sports: 1 year freshman football, 2 years (& this year) Varsity Football - 2nd team all-league soph, 2nd team AND 1st team all-league as junior. Team captain as junior & this year as senior.; 1 year as JV Badminton & Basketball.
5. School Activities: Public relations manager for the past 2 years for the Student Athletic Advisory Council and (near) full time Athletic Tutor for the past 3 years even as a freshman. Scholarship Federation and 2 other clubs.
6. Outside Activities: Boys State attendee this past summer & received State senate & assembly certificates of recognition. Elks Lodge volunteer for the past 2 years - Averaging about 8 hours per month. Youth football assistant coach in my freshman year.
Currently, I suspect your test scores are you Achilles heel. Depending on the strength of your district, you will need to get those up. I am not sure if writing is too low, but I never got the impression WP valued the writing portion nearly as much as the others. Math and English are the biggies.
Take that ACT every opportunity you can, and work on practice tests as much as you are able. If so, your scores will go up. Every point counts and matters.
How are you on the CFA?
Thanks for responding, Brovol. Yes, I suspect ACT/SAT reading scores are low, but then why is the AF Academy and Army ROTC apps open to me?
BTW, I need to clarify somethings on my stats:
3. ACT: 28 for both science & ENGLISH.
4. SAT (pre-March 2016 version)
I wrote earlier about my CFA scores:
BB Throw: 71 ft
Pullups: 3 to 5 - This seems to be a very weak area for me, but is it failing?
Shuttle: 9.7 secs
I did take the ROTC test this past week and lowered my 1-Mile run to 7:20, but I suspect it's because the test format is easier.
With an ACT 30 Math and 28 English, your test scores are fine for getting your file open. To be really competitive for an offer, you would need to get them up a little - shoot for over 30. You are very close to that goal, so I bet you can do it.
As to why your file hasn't opened - well - the OFFICIAL date of opening files is 15 August.
The ones that have already opened are most likely those that:
1) went to SLE or
2) those that are already pretty competitive.
Have you submitted your 6 semester transcript? If not, do it, It will have your class rank on it. They don't need your GPA as it isn't used in your academic evaluation.
Use this time while waiting on your file to open to get as much pre-file things done as you can.
- Talk to your teachers that you want to do your SOEs so that they can submit their SOE for you as soon as your file opens.
- Keep practicing the CFA. The more you work at it, the better scores you will get. Take it within the next couple of months. You need to get your pull-ups to at least 9. Of course, more is better. Get a pull- up bar and put it in your bedroom doorway and do pull-ups every time you walk through that door.
- Schedule to take the ACT and SAT again.
- Work on your nom packets.
Thank you very much for clarifying, Buff81. I wasn't aware that August 15 was the official date; I was too fixated on the July 31 date in my portal.
--- Initial Evaluation Pending ---
** This evaluation will not begin until July 31, 2016 at the earliest for most candidates to USMA 2021.**
Please be patient, continue to seek nominations, and continue to seek ways to improve yourself in all areas.
Thanks also for recommending my transcript submittal. A few minutes ago, I sent an official one to USMA through my online Parchment portal referencing my candidate number. Yes, it does include my class rank (35 out of 353). I've also provided a notification letter before school ended in June to my math, chemistry, and PE teachers about the evaluation statements. Once my portal is fully open, I'll send them an email notification.
By the way, after Boys State, I've been taking SAT and ACT test prep courses at a reputable test center. I definitely want to be above 30 in all areas for the ACT and above 650 for each SAT subject.
I've started on writing my ROTC and nomination essays/applications. I asked the other candidates here if they could share the other essay(s) for the USMA application:
Just an update: Application finally opened for me today after I asked my regional coordinator. He did mention the low SAT/ACT scores which could have affected my portal access. That's why I sent him my resume which lists my other academic achievements (class rank/GPA) and extra curriculars (ie. team captain, all-league x3, boys state, etc). I'm not certain that (resume) persuaded him, but I like to think it got the job done.
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the portal being open is insignificant. Work hard on the ACT, and take it every test date. You will be amazed how much you can bring it up, and because you have a decent résumé otherwise, a good ACT will make you competitive for a spot.
Btw, I like the fact that you are attacking this. That's exactly the type of attitude that leads to accomplishing goals, and I think if you continue that way you will earn a spot.
.... another thing.
Are you applying to the other accademys? There are other ways to become a leader in our armed services. All the academies are fantastic. And don't forget Coast Guard Academy, and Merch Marine Academy. Great places.
Separate names with a comma.