Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by cpkousky, Jun 20, 2012.
Can you apply to USAFA as a contracted sophomore in AFROTC?
Yes you can,
I was a contracted sophomore for AFROTC when I applied and got appointed from AFROTC, I had my EA slot and everything ready to go when I received my appointment. If you have any questions send me a message and good luck!
As stated you can, and you will also be eligible for a ROTC nom on top of the traditional MOC noms. Do yourself a favor and discuss this with your AFROTC Commander. They are always supportive of cadets, and by discussing it with them they will be able to assist you regarding weaknesses, strengths, etc.
I'm currently in AFROTC and my question is will I be frowned upon by my commander for leaving ROTC for USAFA? And if they ask why I'm leaving I don't know what to say without offending them. The real reasons I want to leave are many such as no more commuting, military life, higher likelihood to be pilot and so on.
Assuming I get a nomination from my commander will that mean I don't need the congressional nomination?
I've currently had one quarter in college and my GPA was a 2.76 what GPA should I be aiming for. I know a4.0 is obviously preferred but where is the line drawn? 3.0? 3.4? Will they be looking at my high school scores even though I'm in college? How heavily does the high school GPA weigh when you are already in college applying for USAFA?
Will being in AFROTC increase my chances of getting in?
Since you were in AFROTC for 2 years wouldn't that be equivalent to having done 2 years at USAFA? So by the time you started USAFA you were technically already one year(ahead/advanced/prepared) than the rest?
Oh and a side question, when you entered the academy, were most of your classmates one year younger? If so was it a problem? Awkward it anything? Or is it a frequent occurrence to have classmates younger/older then you by more then a year?
I'll send a PM.
I currently have a similar situation. I would like to know the answer to these questions also.
I too would be interested in the answers to flyus747's questions. My DS still awaiting word from USAFA, but had received appointment to VMI. If USAFA ends up not being in the cards for him, knowing those answers would be most helpful! Thanks!
I currently have one who is a C2C at USAFA and one hoping to get an appointment in the future. Here are the answers I know...
1. You will not be frowned upon by your Commander for leaving or will they ask why you're leaving. They all know the reputation of USAFA and understand why you'd like to attend.
2. You only need one nomination to complete your candidacy; however, the more noms you have the more options they have in placing you.
3. While I don't know what the cut off is grade-wise, I do know it becomes no less competitive being in college and it is highly recommended that you have a 4.0, but not necessarily going to knock you out of the running as long as your GPA is up there close.
4. Being in AFROTC will increase the chances of getting in.
5. When you enter, everyone enters the same year, regardless of how many years of college you've completed. You will not be ahead of those entering- you will all graduate the same year. Some are older, most have just graduated hs. You learn to mesh with each other and work as a team. In fact, you must work as a unit for you all to succeed! It isn't awkward because you are all striving toward the same goal.
Hope this helps a bit.
Separate names with a comma.