AROTC with USMA Appointment

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by Brave, Feb 9, 2017.

  1. Brave

    Brave Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2016
    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    126
    DD has accepted her USMA appointment, and yesterday learned that she also received a 4 yr AROTC scholarship to her top civilian schools. I've read that accepting the AROTC scholarship is more like an acknowledgement, so if she accepted now then she could decline it at a later date, or should she go ahead and decline it now? I fear what might happen if she turns down all of her non-academy offers and something bad happens....like she gets hurts in her spring sport, or injured at Beast. At the same time, DD is very committed to USMA and her mind is made up, so she doesn't want to hold onto to something that potentially denies someone else. What's the best way to hedge her bets?
     
  2. MohawkArmyROTC

    MohawkArmyROTC Recruiting Operations Officer

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2017
    Messages:
    490
    Likes Received:
    510
    If you are looking to hedge her bets, then you should accept the scholarship now, and decline it this Summer after beast. Especially if she is not DODMERB qualified yet. USMA is more stringent in granting waivers than Cadet Command.
     
    Brave likes this.
  3. Teragram

    Teragram Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2016
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    415
    So if DD has a 4 year in place and then accepts appointment to USMA she can keep scholarship right up until August? I've read contradicting statements on this.
     
  4. Brave

    Brave Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2016
    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    126
    ^ Me too, which is why I asked...
     
    Teragram likes this.
  5. Mere2033

    Mere2033 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2016
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    121
    DD is in the exact same position. I feel very uncomfortable having her turn down everything and then something goes wrong. Maybe I'm a little paranoid! She's already turned down two civilian schools and I cringed.
     
    Brave likes this.
  6. Teragram

    Teragram Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2016
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    415
    My head is spinning! DD is just over the moon that she got a 4 year making Plan B solid and patiently waiting on USMA (nominations submitted very last day from our MOC's), but I am the one stressing over the monetary implications of making a wrong move :(
     
  7. MohawkArmyROTC

    MohawkArmyROTC Recruiting Operations Officer

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2017
    Messages:
    490
    Likes Received:
    510
    You can always turn down a scholarship offer, as it is only a conditional offer and not binding until a contract is signed. The offer will automatically be rescinded in the Fall if the cadet is not at the school that the scholarship is awarded to.
     
  8. Teragram

    Teragram Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2016
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    415
    Thank you for the clarification.
     
  9. Fishpart

    Fishpart Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2015
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    56
    We hedged our bets. Our DS was offered a 4 year as well as USMA 2019. He accepted his scholarship and we paid a deposit at a Plan B school looking at it as insurance in the event the bubble wrap popped. AROTC scholarship went away when he reported for R-day. Some schools may refund your deposit, some may be angry you double accepted could be worth a call to admissions. Our DS called admissions to cancel plan B on A-day proud as heck with his parents not caring about the deposit...
     
    DrMom likes this.
  10. Pat46

    Pat46 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    4
    Received 4 years to my top 2 yesterday. Still hoping for appointment to USMA or USNA. Also waiting to see if I get accepted at the top 2. So many balls in the air at once.
     
    Teragram likes this.
  11. Teragram

    Teragram Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2016
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    415
    We are still waiting on USMA and USNA, but this is our exact plan. DD will accept her 4 year scholarship and we have sent in the deposit to her choice of school. If she attends academy and school won't refund deposit, we are absolutely okay with that!
     
  12. Pat46

    Pat46 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    4
     
  13. inSANEmom

    inSANEmom Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2016
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    125
    What happens to those scholarships then? Seems like they are "wasted" when others could be using them. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying you should not do what you're doing (holding on to them as a back up)... just wondering if they are somehow usable by someone else... but figuring they aren't if they aren't turned down until the first day of school.
     
  14. DrMom

    DrMom 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,144
    Likes Received:
    1,752
    NO CAN DO MOHAWK ARMY. Once she signs on at Beast, she loses her ROTC scholarship. Cadets can only be contracted to one commissioning source at a time. There is no 'hedge your bets.' If the cadet gets to Beast and decides USMA is not for her, the AROTC scholarship is no longer hers to fall back on. However, a student can re-apply for the next year.
     
  15. 5Day

    5Day Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2015
    Messages:
    1,724
    Likes Received:
    963
    I am sure they use a historical yield when they issue scholarships knowing that many SA appointees and many others will turn down the scholarship in the fall. Campus based scholarships will fill in the gaps.
     
    inSANEmom likes this.