Deferring AFROTC Scholarship?

RoyOrbison

NWP '17, USAFA '22
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
47
Is it possible to defer an AFROTC Type 7 for a year? or
Is it possible to decline the AFROTC scholarship after accepting it in April?
I know if I accepted an AFROTC scholarship, then was offered an appointment to USAFA, USAFA trumps, but how does that work with a Falcon Scholarship?
Here is my situation:
I applied to USAFA, received a TWE mid-April. On Tuesday, I was awarded a Falcon Scholarship.
There is a 99% chance of being appointed to the Academy next year, but there is still that 1%. Before I accept my FS, I want to have my bases covered. Yesterday I spent the day calling prep schools, and have narrowed it down to NWP and NMMI. After talking to my parents and JROTC instructors, here are my options.
1. If possible, defer the AFROTC scholarship and if I am not appointed to USAFA next year, I still can achieve my goal of being an officer in the Air Force.
2. Decline AFROTC for the Falcon Scholarship.
Thank you for your help!
 

kinnem

Moderator
10-Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
14,028
I don't know if an AFROTC scholarship can be deferred, but in any case I recommend option 2... make your commitment and go for it!
 

AROTC-dad

Moderator
5-Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2014
Messages
5,812
This comes down to what your PRIMARY goal is.

If it is to graduate from USAFA, then the Falcon Scholarship gives you the BEST chance of accomplishing this.
If your goal is to commission as an AF officer, in the SHORTEST time, then AFROTC will give you the opportunity to commission in 4 years instead of 5.

Keep your eye on what is important and meaningful to you, as BOTH paths lead to the same finish line: a 2nd LT in the USAF.
 

5Day

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2015
Messages
1,729
There is a 99% chance of being appointed to the Academy next year, but there is still that 1%.
From everything I have read on these forums for the past few years is that 1% is totally within your control. Work hard and always do your best and you will easily be in that 99%. Any medical disqualification post DoDMERB will be the same whether ROTC or Prep.
 

eljay60

AFROTC parent, former ANC in USAR
Joined
Nov 1, 2016
Messages
253
Congratulations! And I'm with 5Day, the 1% is your call and your commitment.. If you are seeking an academy experience, go with the Falcon scholarship.
 

RoyOrbison

NWP '17, USAFA '22
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
47
Thank you all. So when I accept the Falcon scholarship, how would I go about letting AFROTC Headquarters know about my decision? Call? Or do they know it's been offered? I already signed the online portal saying I accept it. That was right after the TWE from USAFA
 

jebdad

5-Year Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
432
Congrats on the Falcon Scholarship. I really think the extra year has way more upside than potential downside. You will most likely be stronger, smarter, more mature, and ready for your future.
 

kinnem

Moderator
10-Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
14,028
Thank you all. So when I accept the Falcon scholarship, how would I go about letting AFROTC Headquarters know about my decision? Call? Or do they know it's been offered? I already signed the online portal saying I accept it. That was right after the TWE from USAFA
Call. If they provided any contacts in the offer letter use them. Academies and ROTC programs do not communicate (well) with one another.
 

RoyOrbison

NWP '17, USAFA '22
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
47
Accepted FS. Talked to AFROTC headquarters this morning. The scholarship tech reset my portal to the "accept or reject" stage and I selected reject. Then called the detachment I was planning to enter and told them the plan. Will be attending NWP this fall.
 
Top