Discussion in 'Coast Guard Academy - USCGA' started by mwbluebeard, Dec 12, 2008.
If not, when are those offers given? At the time of Regular Action in the spring?
We are doing some "pre-screening" for CGA Scholars (prep school) right now, but the selection boards won't convene until late January with the first appointments to CGA Scholars going out in February. We hope to select ~60 CGA Scholars this year and will continue using both the New Mexico Military Institute (http://www.nmmi.edu/prep/) and Marion Military Institute (http://www.marionmilitary.edu/programs/programs-sap.da).
So is it possible that the applicant could get a deferral now and then hear of something in February for a Prep School?
Just looked up NAPS and I understand it to be a prep school? Does anyone know what the criteria is used (grades/gpa standards) to be recommended to NAPS; is there a range one's SAT scores or GPA needs to be below or above?
NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School in Newport RI)) is no longer being used by the USCGA as a prep school.
Check the links in Objee's post for NMMI and MMI.
Searching the internet for "CGA Scholars" I found this:
The 2nd post by "atlantadad" kinda scares me since my daughter is in a math class called Math Analysis but it really is Pre-Calculus.. Our district didnt know which books they would be getting so they set up the name as Math Analysis before the school year started, then didnt change it even though it is pre-calc....
Thanks Luigi, gonna check it now.
Keep in mind that there is nothing "wrong" with going to prep school. some people (before coming here, of course) think that getting a prep school offer is another word for no, but it's not. The academics here are really tough, and they call it a "prep" school for a reason. Yes, it is an extra year; however, you will be way more prepared than your classmates when you get here and it honestly doesn't really matter a whole lot in the long run. That's my "I-didn't-go-to-prep-school-but-some-of-my-friends-did" perspective
Would it be wiser to attend NMMI/MMI or The Citadel
for one year if one didn't get selected this year and hoped to re-apply?
Re-apply to the Coast Guard Academy I mean, for class of 2014.
Which would be the best choice do you think? Hoping he won't need that option, of course!
Actually I read the bio and have received info from NMMI I also like the fact it is one the west coast (closer to us)... I'm not sure how they do the choosing if given the option.. BUT its important to remember the Citadel is a 4 yr college... NMMI is a prep school.. 2 yrs only (of course they have high school too) I did a google search and found some interesting things when I searched for CGA scholars (on college confidential) there were lots of posts from parents of kids that chose mmi and some that did nmmi...
I am no expert, but I love to research, and its kinda slow at work right now
and since I've read so much good stuff about NMMI and the locale I didnt look to hard at MMI.
mwbluebeard - IF the CGA offers you a sponsorship at either MMI or NMMI then go there. Hands down. It is a VERY good deal.
IF you get a rejection - MMI and NMMI have Service Academy Prep programs to which you can apply. They will help prepare you for CGA - give you the academics necessary and support you in re-applying. It is NOT a guarantee. They are junior colleges and your credits may or may not transfer if you fail to gain an appointment.
IF CGA is your goal eventually, think carefully and weigh your options.
My D is at MMI right now, as a CGA Scholar. She applied early decision and got her deferral letter around this time last year. We then promptly decided that CGA was "out of the picture" of colleges and moved on to other choices (USNA & civilian). Weren't we surprised when she got the CGA Scholars offer in early March - with one week to decide. The rest is history & I don't believe she has regretted her decision once! The decision to go to NMMI or MMI rests entirely with the Academy - not sure what all their criteria are, but geographical location may play some part in it. Apparently NMMI and MMI each have their own strengths and they match the cadets to those.
Oh, I would certainly see the offer as a great option if
my son wasn't accepted for class of 2013. Of course, it is his hope and prayer to be in class of 2013, but I do not think either he nor we, his parents, would hesitate to accept an offer of a pg year at one of the prep colleges.
Another option is to attend one year at the Citadel and reapply. But, I wonder if after one year at the Citadel, I would want him to just go ahead and finish there and then apply to CG OCS?
He says he wants the Academy, even if it means waiting another year.
He is focused.
One of the admin officers we spoke to early on went to a local college for a year and re-applied. He did get in the second year and seemed exceedingly happy in his career with the Coast Guard.
Separate names with a comma.