How to file Army ROTC room & board scholarship on taxes?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by kellen0176, Feb 2, 2015.

  1. kellen0176

    kellen0176 AROTC MSIV

    Jul 6, 2014
    Likes Received:
    The question kind of says it all, but I chose the option of taking the off-campus room and board money for my scholarship. My question specifically is will I get a W-4 for this? Or how do I file it? I know it isn't taxed when they initially give you the money, but I know it is supposed to be claimed.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe 5-Year Member

    Feb 10, 2010
    Likes Received:
    You should be getting a W2 or more likely a 1099 from CC through your Battalion. Since they did not take any withholding out of the payment you received you will be claiming the entire amount paid on your tax return. You will need to talk to your parents to see if they are still claiming you as a dependent, this will determine what your standard deduction will be. If you don't have a complex return which you most likely do not, then you can use the 1040EZ form. If this is the only taxable income you received then you shouldn't be hit to hard for taxes.

Share This Page