Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by onlinejoe1998, Mar 28, 2017.

  1. onlinejoe1998

    onlinejoe1998 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2016
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    7
    I'm getting a little worried about my chances of obtaining admissions into USMA. My file has been completed since December of 2016, but I was medically disqualified. My RC notified me that the admissions office did request a waiver for my DQ. I know I need the waiver in by April 15th. That date is coming awfully close and I have not been given any updates on the status of the waiver. I've asked my RC when the decisions for admissions would come out and he told me by May 1st. May 1st is a little late to find out as I have safety schools I have to respond to in case USMA denies my appointment. What should I do? Should I wait out the waiver and the appointment decision till May 1st? Or should I begin to start looking at accepting an admissions offer from another school?
     
  2. USMA 1994

    USMA 1994 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2016
    Messages:
    1,037
    Likes Received:
    1,038
    There is always a chance that things can happen. It is getting late in the process and looking at your Plan B would be a wise thing to do. The worse that can happen is you accept your admission to your Plan B and you get an appointment in May or even June. They call that first world problems. You may lose your deposit but in the big scheme of life, that few hundred dollars is only a drop in the bucket.
     
    jllera1 likes this.
  3. USMA21

    USMA21 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2016
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    37
    It would be pretty dangerous to wait entirely on WP not accepting offers anywhere else, and find out on May 1st (the deadline for offer acceptance to most US schools) that you are not appointed.
     
  4. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,669
    Likes Received:
    666
    Lots of similar threads on this topic. You should certainly discuss your situation with the Plan B school as many understand it takes longer to find out your final status at the SA.
     
  5. brovol

    brovol Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2015
    Messages:
    1,612
    Likes Received:
    1,493
    Figure out exactly how long you can hold off on the other college. Have your oars in the water on that option, ready to row, so you are all set for that plan. Figure on doing it too, without expectations about West Point. If doing ROTC, square that away. If you happen to get a WP appointment, celebrate then bail on regular college plan, even eating the deposit.

    I would call your RC and ask for any insight. At this point I would probably call as frequently as they will tolerate.
     
  6. ~2020mom

    ~2020mom Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2016
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    17
    My cadet was in the same place last year and received appointment in mid April. Best of luck to you!
     
  7. onlinejoe1998

    onlinejoe1998 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2016
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    7
    Thank you for the insight. I have been emailing my RC about the waiver and he told me all I can do at this point is wait it out. I'm just buckling down and hoping for good results. Also I am allowed to withdraw my acceptance to another college if I find out I got into West Point?
     
  8. ans_usma'21

    ans_usma'21 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2017
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    8
    Yes you can back out of another college for WP. The only thing you might not be refunded is a housing deposit but in the long run, that few hundred dollars doesn't even come close to a WP education also considering all SA's are tuition free.