Received an appointment, advice about accepting and ROTC timing

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by justdoit19, Dec 29, 2017.

  1. justdoit19

    justdoit19 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Messages:
    1,266
    Likes Received:
    1,333
    I have searched the forums, DS cannot be the only one wondering about this, but am not finding good info (other than ‘it used to be allowed, not anymore’). Can someone send me to a thread or advise here?

    I am thinking once an appointment is accepted formally, ROTC scholarships are off the table. Correct or no? AFROTC and USNA in DS’s case. Wondering if he needs to wait until the last minute to accept appointment, or can ROTC be ‘reinstated’ should something happen (aka bubble wrap) and can no longer sign in on I-Day.

    Anxious to accept, but doesn’t want to close any doors until necessary!
     
  2. THParent

    THParent Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2017
    Messages:
    2,180
    Likes Received:
    3,443
    It is not necessary to decline any ROTC scholarship. It will still be "on the table" until your DS shows up for I-Day. It remains his "plan B".
    After he reports to Annapolis, that ROTC scholarship money will go back into the pot, to help the next one standing in line.
    They appreciate having the knowledge (that he will turn down the ROTC offer) now, but they don't have to have that now.
    When he accepts his Offer of Appointment, there is no automatic update to NROTC or AFROTC, either.
    You'd think there would be one database on SA and ROTC candidates, but there isn't.

    He may as well accept now - because as soon as he does - there is more paperwork to sign and send out.
     
  3. justdoit19

    justdoit19 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Messages:
    1,266
    Likes Received:
    1,333
    Oh wow this is not what I expected! Would u mind a PM question?
     
  4. THParent

    THParent Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2017
    Messages:
    2,180
    Likes Received:
    3,443
    Ask away. I am no authority, however!
     
  5. SailorMum

    SailorMum Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2017
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    19
    My son's BGO wrote yesterday that since DS accepted his offer of appointment, it is proper to let the other academies and ROTC scholarship officials know. He says that it saves them time in their deliberations... time that can be given to the next candidate or recipient. My son was sure about USNA and accepted his offer on the same day it was given. He will be declining Army and Air Force ROTC scholarships, as well as other scholarships for which he is still in the running (and will not need), and also letting admissions offices of civilian colleges know that he will not be attending. I initially had mixed feelings about this - wanting to keep all options on the table - but this was the advice given to him by his BGO. DS thought it'd be interesting to see if he receives additional offers of appointment at the other SA's, but really - it wouldn't matter if he does. I had a similar question about letting the two Senators know that he doesn't need their nominations, since he received USNA and USMA nominations from our district Representative. Maybe another candidate would get the nomination that he or she needs? We haven't done anything yet, but the topic has come up and we appreciate other feedback on it.
     
    Kensington and Jeepman like this.
  6. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Super Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    5,732
    Likes Received:
    6,035
    Once a candidate formally accepts an appointment I would say it is proper to let the other SAs know. If they haven’t accepted and are waiting for all their acceptances/appointments, no issues. Many hold on to an ROTC as their Plan B. Once they report to I Day at USNA they will then ‘lose’ the scholarship. There is nothing wrong with doing this. Many will also put a deposit on a Plan B in case of something Plebe Summer. If you use the search function or cruise around the forum you will see many Plan B threads debating etiquette and how other families faced this.
     
    Capt MJ likes this.
  7. Capt MJ

    Capt MJ 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    Messages:
    5,570
    Likes Received:
    7,737
    Thumbs up to Hoops on her advice.

    It’s all about operational risk management. If your DS lets go of everything, and has an injury or illness that prevents him from reporting on I-Day, what is the safety net plan? Of course, they are invincible at that age, but things can and do happen.

    If an appointee is unable to start I-Day, I don’t recall exactly what they are given, but it’s like a conditional LOA - get yourself fixed, remain eligible and fit, get another nom, show us you didn’t waste a year academically, and you have a more than excellent shot of being accepted into the next class.

    You don’t get to skip Plebe Summer and check in when classes start a few months later. Do browse for threads on this topic and talk through what is best for your situation.

    BGOs are wonderful folks, volunteers all. Some may have deep knowledge of USNA but not too much exposure to other commissioning sources or situations where an appointee is unable to report at the last minute.
     
  8. USNAMomma

    USNAMomma New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son let West Point and Coast Guard know, but to be on the safe side has kept his NROTC at Notre Dame and will pay the deposit.
     
  9. Humey

    Humey Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2016
    Messages:
    1,241
    Likes Received:
    826
    From what others have written, except the Rotc scholarship, make the deposit with the school, and then once he enteres the academy, let the college know
     
  10. OldRetSWO

    OldRetSWO USNA 78/parent 11/BGO for >25yrs 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2010
    Messages:
    698
    Likes Received:
    870
    Note that once you pay the deposit, some schools will hold your son or daughter liable for the full tuition and Room/Board and send it to a collection agency if the child does not pay.
    I'm looking at YOU Arizona State! (and others).
    My daughter chose to go to another school and even sent Arizona an email that she would not be enrolling. Arizona started billing her and later claimed to have not received the email. They refuse to deal with parents at all so it is just them putting pressure on the student for over $20K and nearly a decade later, the collection agencies still call and this is on daughter's credit report as a default.
    .
    Step carefully here!
     
  11. usna1985

    usna1985 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    5,755
    Likes Received:
    2,486
    Once you accept an appointment to a SA, at a minimum, it's good form to let the other SAs know.

    There is debate on whether to keep open a civilian option. There are two reasons to do so. The first is in the unlikely event the candidate is injured to the point of not being able to attend PS. It happens, but honestly is very, very rare. If it happens, USNA is extremely likely to give you an appointment the next year, assuming no major change in your status -- other than healing medically. You could probably go to community college or a 4-yr-college that accepts students up to the start of class -- USNA would understand your options might be very limited. The second reason is that the plebe might quit during PS. That too is very rare these days -- the number is usually around 10 per class. And this assumes the plebe quits soon enough actually to enter the other college in mid-August.

    Only you can weigh the cost of the deposit, etc. for the civilian school against the very small chance that your plebe won't make it to/through PS. In my day, I don't recall hearing of anyone who kept open the civilian option. Today, it seems somewhat more common.

    Finally, it's not the place of the BGO to tell (or even advise) you on what to do with other SAs, let alone civilian schools. He/she is there to advise on USNA. Sounds like your BGO has way too much time on his/her hands. Just sayin':rolleyes:
     
    time2 likes this.
  12. justdoit19

    justdoit19 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Messages:
    1,266
    Likes Received:
    1,333
    Wow @AZ State!! That’s bold!!
     
  13. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,669
    Likes Received:
    666
    There is nothing you need to do regarding your MOC. Once they submit their NOM's, they are basically done with the process. It is the SA who determines where appointments get charged. Where a NOM gets issued may not be where it is charged and you won't typically know where your NOM was charged by the SA. The official SA websites indicate to apply for all available NOM's since that gives the SA more flexibility in where NOM's get charged.

    As others have mentioned, lots of older threads on the Plan B topic.