Should DS Accept Plan B while waiting on Academy?

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by USMC_Ordie, Mar 11, 2014.

  1. USMC_Ordie

    USMC_Ordie Member

    Dec 5, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I am sure this asked every year....but I didn't quite find what I was looking for.

    DS was accepted to Plan B & C Schools. Also received a Type 7 AFROTC Scholarship that is good for either.

    Does accepting the offer from the school make any difference to the academy? That way we can go ahead and get housing and courses settled 'just in case'. We would wait on accepting the AFROTC offer until we know either way from USAFA.

    What say you??
  2. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Oct 21, 2010
    Likes Received:
    First you should accept the AFROTC scholarship immediately. There is no problem with declining it later should an Academy appointment be received, but you might want to hang on to it until he reports to USAFA in that case.

    Regarding plan B - Normally courses are settled while attending a freshman orientation at the college which would normally be in June or even early July. Can't speak to housing. May 1 is the normal acceptance deadline for colleges. That being said, if you feel more comfortable with the approach you propose then by all means do that. We didn't execute plan B until late April and got the desired dorm. YMMV.
  3. SandyM

    SandyM 5-Year Member

    May 15, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I think it is a good idea to accept the admission to Plan B. My son put a deposit on the Plan B school even with an appointment in hand. There are young men and women every year who do not arrive on I-Day or leave the Academy before September classes start. Some of them scramble to find a school.

    From the time your aspiring cadet receives an appointment until I-Day or Acceptance Day a lot can happen. If they get hurt before A-Day they may be sent home, or they may decide during BCT that Academy life isn't for them. It is nice to have the back-up school...just in case.
  4. Invisibility

    Invisibility Member

    Dec 10, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I changed my mind repeatedly about USAFA and accepted plan B while thinking it was plan A. That said, I called them up and convinced them to keep my scholarship through August, lest I not make it through BCT. It was good peace of mind--even if I broke an ankle during Basic, I'd be able to go to college without skipping a year or losing scholarship.

    I'd also accept AFROTC. As I recall, I had until May 1 to decide--I knew before May 1 that I was declining, so I just declined. But if you have to decide, you may as well say yes. It sounds like you're not in a hurry though.

Share This Page