Should I contact USNA

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by cc17, Mar 16, 2017.

  1. cc17

    cc17 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    10
    I received an appointment to USAFA back in November and I am trilled but I have been holding out on accepting to wait for USNA. I need to accept/decline my appointment to USAFA by April 15th. I am very fortunate to still be CPR at this point but I am nervous about cutting it too close. Would it be beneficial to let USNA know about my situation because I don't want to have to make a decision between the two in just a couple of days.
     
    Vitalzt and fearthegoat17 like this.
  2. ktnatalk

    ktnatalk Sailor. Shipmate. Parent.

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1,297
    Likes Received:
    1,370
    You have to let them do their job. Do you think they would hold on to it without telling you if they were ready?
     
    Vitalzt likes this.
  3. Vitalzt

    Vitalzt Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2017
    Messages:
    278
    Likes Received:
    291
    I don't think they will be able to rush your case as there are other applicants with multiple acceptance to SAs still waiting to hear from their top choice. Not an expert on this case but someone with better understanding of this can help you.
     
  4. Sydney C.

    Sydney C. 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    626
    Likes Received:
    820
    First and foremost, congradulations on your USAFA appointment. Well done.

    No, it would not be beneficial to let USNA know about your situation as they don't know about your situation and bluntly, they don't care. These are completely independent processes and your acceptance or being declined to one SA has absolutely nothing to do with what another does or doesn't do with your application or how they make their decisions.

    They won't compete for you if that's the implication and the decision of how you proceed will be yours alone. You have roughly a month before you need to hit that button and hopefully, you'll know your USNA status by then. Start thinking it out now so you can be 100% comfortable with that decision when the time comes in the event you're faced with those two options.
     
    ktnatalk and galileo.galilei like this.
  5. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Super Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    5,674
    Likes Received:
    5,959
    You have until April 15th. That is a month from now. USNA won't move you up. This will be blunt, but they don't care. 100s of kids are in the situation right now.
     
    momofmod, ktnatalk and DrMom like this.
  6. WonderGirl1965

    WonderGirl1965 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2016
    Messages:
    163
    Likes Received:
    293
    You want USAFA... click that accept button tonight! Jets! Exotic air bases around the world! Awesome little pointy hats! Take it! - myself and the parents of USNA candidates who are still CPR thank you in advance!

    Seriously, congrats on the appointment.... you are in an enviable position. I'm sure you'll do great at either academy.
     
  7. usna1985

    usna1985 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    5,732
    Likes Received:
    2,437
    I don't see the issue. Make your choice now, with the assumption that you also receive an appt to USNA. Nothing about you or the schools will change between now and April 15. If your first choice is USAFA, as the above poster said, select it now. If your first choice is USNA, then wait until April 15, by which time you'll hear something.

    The only issue is really if you're WL'ed at USNA. Then you have to decide whether to take a chance on USNA or take the sure thing for USAFA. I'd take the sure thing unless you really don't want to attend USAFA.
     
  8. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,669
    Likes Received:
    666
    ^^ I agree, the OP should PLAN as though appointed to both. Then regardless of the outcome, it won't be a last minute decision. I would not call USNA in the hope of using your USAFA appointment as leverage. Many candidates are also waiting to hear their status, so nothing would be gained by calling admissions.
     
  9. RAC131

    RAC131 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    32
    We know someone who was in the same position last year, but really wanted USNA. As it got closer to 4/15, he called admissions and told them about his is offer. He got an offer from USNA shortly thereafter.
     
  10. momofmod

    momofmod Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    90
    If USAFA is your first choice, be kind and withdraw from USNA. It's the right thing to do...think about the kids that may be waiting for a spot in your district/state. If you really want Navy, hang tight. April 15 is a long way off. Good luck!
     
    RAC131 and Vitalzt like this.