USMMA vs USCGA?

Discussion in 'Merchant Marine Academy - USMMA' started by texas_two_step, Dec 28, 2016.

  1. texas_two_step

    texas_two_step Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2016
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    46
    If my son is not able to get into the USCGA because of color deficiency would this mean his chances to get into the USMMA would be low?
     
  2. beyond

    beyond KπΣ15' 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    113
    It's not really a high/low chance thing. There is a medical standard you have to meet. Depending on the level of color deficiency yes it would be disqualiffing from KP.

    Deckies need to be able to see the red and green floating things.

    Engineers need to be able to see the difference in the HFO and the Sewage pipes.
     
  3. texas_two_step

    texas_two_step Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2016
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    46
    So if you can't get in to the Coast Guard Academy you probably won't get into the Merchant Marines.
     
  4. cmakin

    cmakin 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Messages:
    735
    Likes Received:
    104
    One of the stipulations of graduation from the USMMA is obtaining a US Coast Guard license as a ship's officer. In most cases, color blindness is a disqualifier. There are various tests that are available, however the answer is yes, if your son's color blindness disqualifies in from the Coast Guard, then it is most likely that he is NOT qualified for the USMMA. Not sure about the other academies, but I do recall having color blindness testing when I was trying to get in to the USAFA. Don't know about USMA.
     
  5. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Super Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    4,060
    Likes Received:
    3,777
    USNA it is difficult. USNA only allows 20 waivers/year for color blindness as it only allows someone to go USMC or restricted line for USN. Same reasons as mentioned above... red/green are extremely important colors for sea and flying. I believe USMA is the least strict of the SAs and color blindness.
     
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. texas_two_step

    texas_two_step Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2016
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    46
    My son received a congressional nomination for the USMMA, as well as the USNA and USAFA. He has received a conditional appointment to the Coast Guard Academy but I told him not even bother finishing his application to the USMMA as it won't matter at this point.
     
  7. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    9,006
    Likes Received:
    1,228
    Make them say no.
     
    ktnatalk, AROTC-dad and EOD/SEALmom like this.
  8. Physicsguru

    Physicsguru 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    117
    Never give up on an application. Even if it's a 90% chance of being disqualified, that means there's still a 10% chance of passing/getting the waiver. Considering the return on the investment of time, it's still worth it to complete all the applications to all the academies he's interested in.

    The Coast Guard has a standing order. To paraphrase, never dismiss an action unless it's been tried and failed.
     
    ForGod&Country and ktnatalk like this.
  9. KP Eng

    KP Eng Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2015
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    76
    The following comes from the USMMA site https://www.usmma.edu/admissions/application/medical-exam

    Vision

    Any prospective candidate who has been diagnosed with substandard color vision is not eligible for further consideration. Upon reporting to the Academy, all plebes are subject to an eye examination. Those who fail to meet the Academy's visual requirements at that time will be disenrolled.

    So while I understand the previous poster's advice to keep driving forward until explicitly denied, I don't see a lot of gray area in this language. As a parent who would wouldn't want to see their DS set up for certain failure, I think you gave him sound advice.
     
  10. beyond

    beyond KπΣ15' 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    113
    I think he should finish the application. You need to find out exactly how color blind he is... just because you fail the ishihara plates doesn't mean necessarily mean you'd be ineligible for a waiver. There are other tests like the farnsworth lantern that may suffice.... though last I heard there aren't many places left that have farnsworth lanterns.

    My 2/C roommate couldn't pass ishihara plates but still graduated and is sailing chief on a tug.

    @kp2001 might have some good insight on the standards for military vision.
     

Share This Page