Weighing Options

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by kirbinator, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. kirbinator

    kirbinator 5-Year Member

    Dec 25, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I had a question for all of you wise men and women out there. I received a call saying that the academy is mailing my appointment (the big fat letter-- not the thin white one like last year) next week from the Air Force Academy :eek:. However, I also applied to the Naval Academy and my BGO told me that the admissions staff don't look at re-aplier's files until April (is that true, by the way?).

    I would like to keep my options open for each, but since the USNA hasn't responded yet, I am wondering what the rules are on receiving appointment packages. I have heard that the Appointment letter requests that you send in a written statement that you are committed. If I wait to see if I get a USNA appointment, will my spot be filled or will I have a chance of losing my appointment?

    Has anyone been in a similar situation?
  2. marciemi

    marciemi 5-Year Member

    Feb 5, 2009
    Likes Received:
    You have until May 1st to accept or decline your appointment, no strings attached. :thumb: If you know you won't accept one, of course it's courteous to decline quickly, so it can be offered more promptly to another candidate. But in this case, there's absolutely no reason not to wait to find out what you can from Navy between now and May 1!

    What your BGO told you also seems strange to me. Assuming you have a normal MOC nomination, your file would be looked at with everyone else's on that slate - probably some time in March. I've never heard otherwise, but I'm definitely not a Navy expert.

    Congrats, by the way! :shake:

Share This Page