Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Merchant Marine Academy - USMMA' started by kp2001, Jul 11, 2009.

  1. KPEngineer

    KPEngineer Eternal Father ... 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    228
    I'm sure the previous infraction played a role. The culmination of both is likely what lead to the disenrollment, not the singular event. Frankly, he's lucky he only got a Class2 for the consumption on board.
     
  2. KappaPiKevin

    KappaPiKevin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Congrats to all the kids who got in! Good luck to them now and in the years to come!
     
  3. KP_SUB_MARINER

    KP_SUB_MARINER New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2014
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am new here so: I can provide some input on KP and submarine service after graduation. I am a 2009 graduate.
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  4. mariner-pilot

    mariner-pilot nominated ct-05 usmma

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2014
    Messages:
    43
    Likes Received:
    13
    I am super interested in the submarine service I'd love some info!
     
  5. KP_SUB_MARINER

    KP_SUB_MARINER New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2014
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I can't send PMs yet but what would you like to know?

    I can tell you the general process of getting into submarines is this:

    -Be an Engineer. I think a deckie could easily do it if they had a good physics understanding, good calculus skills, and some prep but coming at the whole thing as an Engineer takes the edge off. In fact, I wish I had more deckie back ground as being an engineer on a submarine is only about 40-45% of the job. The other 60-55% is being good at driving the submarine and management.
    -Let the submarine rep at the KP know you are interested.
    -He/she will schedule an interview in Washington DC at the Navy Yard with Naval Reactors Engineers and NAVSEA08 (4 star Admiral) your 1st class fall.
    -Finish KP
    -Get Nuclear Accessions bonus ($15-20K)
    -Go to Nuclear Power School
    -Go to Prototype
    -Get another bonus ($2500)
    -Go to submarine officer basic school
    -Go to your first boat.

    From graduation to getting to your first boat, the pipeline takes about 1.5-2.5 years depending on what is going on with the prototypes.
     
  6. Jmoney457

    Jmoney457 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2015
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    31
  7. Coptales

    Coptales New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son graduated 3 yrs ago and was in band company. Band Company was treated like a stepchild, but that is changing. Overall he had a great experience becoming the head of his deck and improving the percussion section to the point that people had to tryout to get into it. He also was key in getting air con for their building which did not have it for 3 of his years. I've another that started today in Band Company and I am glad he is there. Having the right attitude is key. They can try to make it tough on the plebes, but how one responds to the guff is what is important. Though I think Nietzsche was an idiot, he had this correct," What does not kill me makes me stronger." Your son will do fine and maybe even learn to play an instrument if he is willing. Go Band Company!!!
     
  8. Windy

    Windy New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have read a lot of your posts. Lots of questions for you about the specific degree that Kings Point offers and then going the medical route. I understand the medical route. The Service Academy route and engineering is new to me. How did you do medical school? Why did you choose Kings Point - since it was not a direct route to medical school? I see a benefit of an engineer and medical degree...how do you see that they work together? What is the downside of going the Kings Point route and then medicine? Thanks!
     

Share This Page