A few questions about AROTC.

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by EchoMike, Feb 1, 2012.

  1. EchoMike

    EchoMike 5-Year Member

    Jan 29, 2012
    Likes Received:
    What exactly is a "Contracted Cadet?"

    Can I do SMP without a contract?

    If I do not receive an AROTC scholarship can I still do SMP?
  2. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe 5-Year Member

    Feb 10, 2010
    Likes Received:
    1. A contracted cadet is a cadet that has signed their contract. There are several ways you can Contract and different stages in which you do so. First, a 4 yr scholarship cadet can contract the beginning of their freshman year. A SMP cadet would contract the beginning of their sophomore year along with the 3 yr AD scholarship cadets. A non scholarship and non SMP cadet can apply to contract the beginning of their junior year. All Junior and Senior cadets must be contracted.

    To Contract you must be in good standing and meet the min GPA requirements and pass the APFT.

    Being contracted allows you to apply for and compete for summer programs such as CULP, Airborne, Air Assault, and others. It also means you are on the path to commission as long as you stay in good standing.

    2. You would do SMP as a non-contracted cadet your freshman year but must contract the beginning of your sophomore year.

    3. Yes, if you do not receive a scholarship you can join the Guard or Reserves and apply for a SMP spot. There are a lot of threads on this board concerning SMP, do a search and you will find a wealth of information. If you do SMP you will still be competing with other non contracted cadets for the opportunity to contract your sophomore year, it is not a guarantee, so make sure you are willing to fulfill your obligations with the Guard or Reserves before you sign up.

    Hope that helps, Good luck on the March Board.
  3. clarksonarmy

    clarksonarmy Recruiting Operations Officer at Clarkson Army 5-Year Member

    Mar 8, 2010
    Likes Received:

Share This Page