Let me first say that although I’ve labeled this a “dilemma” – it is a very good dilemma and we, DS and his whole family, are so over-the-top grateful…not to mention honored and excited! So here it is: April 10, 2012 - DS was awarded a 3 year AROTC scholarship with an accept/decline date of May 10. The scholarship can be used at one of four universities – all four listed on scholarship award letter DS has been accepted to. April 15, 2012 – DS received call from USNA Admissions office with news that he was being offered a USNA Foundation slot. April 25, 2012 – DS received the BFE from USNA Foundation. He immediately filled out his section of the forms and DH and I filled out the family financial portion. The forms went out yesterday in FEDEX overnight – we’ve had crazy problems with snail mail around here - and I just now checked, it was delivered about a half hour ago! Both prep schools (NMMI and MMI) DS put on the Foundation forms begin early August. Anyday now, 2012 – DS will receive a yay or nay on NROTC scholarship (he's the one who's had the “no decision” status for 11 ½ months now, the same one with the 3 officer interviews…blah, blah, blah – I’m sure you’ve seen that story…ugh… Last we heard, May 15 is the very last date that NROTC scholarship applicants would hear of their offer/no offer. So firm dates lie just ahead… May 1, 2012 (four days from now!) – university commit date. No deposits have been sent to any of the schools yet…here’s the situation - **Ohio State University. DS accepted to the Engineering program. This is #1 school on both AROTC and NROTC application. In state tuition **Miami (of Ohio). Deposit 4x higher than OSU. Miami’s AROTC is a “cross-town” program about an hour away. NROTC on campus. DS has a modest merit scholarship here. In state tuition **Eastern Michigan University. Does not have a May 1 deadline – it’s a rolling acceptance – through mid-July. DS has a healthy merit scholarship to EMU. AROTC on campus. NROTC cross-town with University of Michigan (doable). In state tuition **University of Cincinnati. AROTC only (no NROTC unit at UC). DS accepted to pre-engineering program – typically a 5 year program. So with the AROTC 3 year, not sure how that works…years 1 and 5 on our dime, or years 1 and 2? Makes a difference as DS’s older brother has two more years at OSU. UC - In state tuition. DS would most likely live at home and commute in this scenario. **University of Minnesota. DS accepted to university, on wait list for Engineering. U of Minnesota has both AROTC and NROTC on campus. Out of state tuition. I’m way leaning to putting down the deposit for OSU – even though the USNA Foundation appears to be a done deal and it is DS’s FIRST and MOST DESIRED choice! We have been in back-up plan mode for so long, it feels weird and scary to let back-up plans evaporate. But then, what if … NROTC does come through and it’s for say…Miami or Univ. of MN? That’s an additional $675 in deposit fees due in four days! On top of the $100 for OSU! May 10, 2012 - yikes...the quandary of the MAY 10 acceptance/declination of the 3 year AROTC scholarship – is that even an option – the acceptance part – with the Foundation offer papers received in Maryland just about two hours ago? Is one exclusive of the other – as in it’s either AROTC scholarship acceptance OR Foundation offer acceptance, but not both? Thanks for reading all this and helpful guidance/insight is most welcome!