Wisdom tooth removal
This is no joke and they can leverage on this "..or are deemed to be a potential threat for infection by the Academy’s Senior Dental Officer.."
This year's Logging In http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/PDFs/LoggingIn2012.pdf
(The 2013 class candidates will get one early next year) is very specific:
Waiver for Third Molar Extractions (green form) must also be completed. This form should be completed by a parent or legal guardian of a Plebe Candidate and returned to the Academy’s dental department The form certifies that either the wisdom teeth have been removed/do not exist or the parent/legal guardian acknowledges financial responsibility for removal if these teeth are still present and become symptomatic or are deemed to be a potential threat for infection by the Academy’s Senior Dental Officer. This form must be received no later than 02 June 2008. Failure to provide the necessary documentation may result in disenrollment from the Academy.
Wisdom tooth removal timing: if the removal of third molars (wisdom teeth) is indicated they must be removed at least 6 weeks prior to indoctrination or during a scheduled Academy leave period during Plebe year (i.e. Thanksgiving or Winter Holiday). Removal less than 6 weeks prior to indoctrination significantly increases the risk for delayed post-operative infection and is highly discouraged. Candidates, Plebes and Midshipmen are financially liable for treatment costs incurred as a result of post-surgical infections. Candidates with questions regarding wisdom teeth are encouraged to contact the Academy’s dental department at: 516-773-5337.
My son will have his braces removed in late April. I will have to check with the dentist when the wisdom teeth should get removed (the sooner the better).
Additionally, there are immunizations requirements that need to be completed as well.
Primary and booster immunizations are mandatory (with the exception to item number 9), for the following vaccines and they may be administered any time prior to arriving at the Academy unless otherwise stipulated.
1. Diphtheria - Pertussis - Tetanus (D.P.T.) and a booster dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis - within five (5) years.)
2. Polio (Oral or injectable Polio Vaccine – at least 3 doses)
3. Measles - Mumps - Rubella (M.M.R. #1)
4. Measles - Mumps - Rubella (M.M.R. #2) or Measles second dose
5. Chicken Pox (Varicella) (2 doses)
(This vaccine is not required if you can present documentation from a physician of an antibody titer or if a physician can document the history of Chicken Pox.)
6. Meningococcal Vaccine (Menactra or Metamune)
7. Hepatitis B Series (3 doses)
8. Hepatitis A (2 doses)
9. Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV) is a recommended vaccine for females ages 11-12 years and is included in the official immunization schedule published by The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC recommends administering the HPV vaccine series to females at ages 13 through 18 years if not previously vaccinated. This is a 3 dose vaccine with the 2nd dose being 2 months apart from the 1st and the 3rd dose 6 months after the first. It is highly recommended that your family physician be consulted regarding the administration of this vaccine before coming aboard for indoctrination day.
The following documentation will be forwarded to each candidate in early May by the Department of Health Services for completion and return to the Academy:
1. Immunization Record Summary (yellow form) must be completed by your family physician and shall become part of your Academy’s health record. This form must be received no later than 02 June 2008. Failure to provide the necessary documentation may result in disenrollment from the Academy.
It's better to get the insurance (if you have one) to pay for most of the above while you can.