My DS received 4 year scholarships for both AROTC and NROTC. He thinks his first choice would still be an appointment to West Point (which he has not received but he is 3Qd with a nom) and he thinks he prefers the Army branch in general to Navy. As it stands, if he does not get an appointment there are three schools he is considering, two of which he has already been accepted to and one where he is currently deferred but has been told he has a very good chance of getting into in late March. The NROTC scholarship is placed at one of the schools where he has been accepted and the AROTC scholarship is placed at the school where he is deferred. He received a call (or a message rather because he did not take the call at the time)from the Navy officer at the school where he was accepted welcoming him and congratulating him. His instinct is to call the guy back and tell him that he will be giving up the scholarship even though he may ultimately choose to attend that school. His father and I have told him that he should not give anything up until he knows all his options. Even though he seems very sure he prefers Army (as a branch) to Navy, we have no idea how easy it would be to transfer his AROTC scholarship and, he does not want to consider moving it until he finds out if he will be accepted to the school where that scholarship is currently placed. Understandably, he feels like it is wrong to hold on to both when he cannot use them both but until he knows exactly what all his options are it seems like the smart thing to do. We advised him just to be honest and explain that he has not made up his mind yet because he is still waiting to hear from a couple of schools. Is that wrong? He worked hard to earn these scholarships and it just seems like he has the right to hold on to them until he can properly weigh all options with full information.