Accepting at more than one SA

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by DEMJACK, Apr 2, 2019.

  1. DEMJACK

    DEMJACK Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2019
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    5
    What is the protocol for saying yes to multiple SAs?

    Situation: DS received a LOA from USAFA but is waiting on a medical waiver. However, the portal currently allows for DS to accept. He was also admitted into another SA which has already provided a medical waiver and allows DS to accept in their portal. USAFA is Plan A.

    As the May 1 deadline looms can DS accept at both and subsequently turn down plan B without repercussions if Plan A comes through after the May 1 deadline/before I-Day?

    Additionally, any information on how quickly the various SAs work to get waivers through for those with LOAs is much appreciated.
     
    NorcalDad2023 likes this.
  2. BBBRRRTT

    BBBRRRTT Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2018
    Messages:
    175
    Likes Received:
    83
    I would wait until the last day allowed and go with the sure thing.
     
    Sydney C. and fencersmother like this.
  3. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
    Yes.
     
    NorcalDad2023 and DEMJACK like this.
  4. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
    @DEMJACK That's how I understand it but best to check with both SA's to be sure. I just read a 3 year old post that said if you accept at one SA it will notify the others.
     
  5. Wishful

    Wishful "Land of the free, because of the brave..." 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,299
    Likes Received:
    941
    The LOA is meaningless now since the AFA portal allows you to accept. You have 2 offers of appointment. Don't understand though how AFA's portal allows you to accept while also stating pending waiver approval. Rationally, the approval must have already occurred in order for the portal to show offer of appointment. Might want to have the Appointee call Admissions for an explanation. @mintyicedtea post above sounds familiar.
     
    fencersmother and ringczar23 like this.
  6. DEMJACK

    DEMJACK Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2019
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    5
    Yes, it does seem strange that the medical waiver is still pending but there is an accept/decline option available. Mind games for both parent and DS.
     
  7. 70Zoomie

    70Zoomie Member, Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2019
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    40
    We’re currently in that exact situation. Don’t know if others got the same letter, but when my DD got the “Congratulations on your Appointment” emailed letter from Col Primas, there quickly followed the bold lettered statement that the Appointment was conditional on DODMERB’s Approval of medical qualification. The next paragraph said to accept or decline by May 1. No other mention of waiver approval. My DD is waiting on the Academy for two waivers. She accepted the Offer, got all the forms to fill out, and was invited to Appointee Day. When she called for verification of the invitation, they said, “sure, come on down to either of the two Appointee Days!” We have supplied all of the required medical data, and believe that the waivers will be granted, but we’re still part of the “waiting club”!
     
  8. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    11,789
    Likes Received:
    5,393
    I'm just guessing but it seems to me that they want you to "accept" the LOA, or want to know you will accept if you get the waiver. I suppose it's even possible that continued pursuit of a waiver is conditional on the acceptance. But then I know nothing and am merely a conspiracy theorist. If it were me I would be making phone calls to find out what the letter means, exactly.
     
    Wishful likes this.
  9. 70Zoomie

    70Zoomie Member, Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2019
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    40
    You are correct, sir! That’s what we thought too, at first. But to seek clarity, DD called, and was basically told to sit down and shut up, in a nice, polite way. DD was told in early March that the Appointment letter meant what it said, that the waivers would take at least 30 days or several weeks and would either approve, deny or request more information. So, basically sit back and wait. And that’s what we’re doing. DD is strung out, naturally, still looking at Plan B, C, etc. So, we’re on the hook for three nonrefundable airline tickets (too far to drive for one Appointee day), Hotel and rental car reservations, requesting days off school, all the usual stuff. And all of that is OK, regardless of the end result. It’s all part of the deal. I get it. I’m a Grad, and was an ALO for 20 years. Being a parent, though, is far, far different from either of those.
     
  10. 70Zoomie

    70Zoomie Member, Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2019
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    40
    As a follow up, DD received notice of her waiver approvals at 4 AM this morning, so DEMJACK that means one more case ahead of you is resolved. Good Luck, and hope to see you and DS on 27 Jun 19!
     
  11. ThePatternisFull

    ThePatternisFull BGO

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2014
    Messages:
    309
    Likes Received:
    217
    That is not true!
     
  12. ringczar23

    ringczar23 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2019
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    23
    There is a mountain of paperwork and documentation to complete once the accept button is pushed, be mindful of that.
     
  13. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
    I didn't think so either but the post was from @Christcorp who is a very knowledgable ALO. It was an old post, maybe things have changed. That's why I said to check with the SA's.
     
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  14. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
  15. ThePatternisFull

    ThePatternisFull BGO

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2014
    Messages:
    309
    Likes Received:
    217
    The academies do not communicate with each other on who they appoint and who they do not. Each is separate from each other. Please keep in mind many kids apply to more than one SA and receive offers to all they applied. But once you accept an appointment I believe you should decline the others if you have more than one offer. Just my two cents.
     
    ringczar23 likes this.
  16. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
    To clarify, in the post Christcorp didn't say that the academies communicated with each other on who they appoint. He said that they notified the other SA's when someone accepted an appointment. Things may have changed since then but I defer to his knowledge as a long time ALO familiar with the process.
     
  17. ThePatternisFull

    ThePatternisFull BGO

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2014
    Messages:
    309
    Likes Received:
    217
    Who is the they? The candidate?
     
  18. mintyicedtea

    mintyicedtea Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2016
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    91
    "They" meaning the academies. I was using your wording.

    Okay, it's time for me to bow out of this discussion. @DEMJACK hope all goes well for your DS!
     
  19. Gabe_

    Gabe_ Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2018
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    25
    @DEMJACK My DD is in a similar situation. She has received an Appointment from another SA, and hoping for an Appointment to USAFA. She is medically disqualified, for USAFA. She contacted USAFA on friday to check status. They stated she still needs to get med qual. for an appointment and nothing is guaranteed. USAFA also stated it is fine to accept the other Appointment and if she receives an Appointment from USAFA she could then accept that Appointment. We were quite surprised by this. With that said, I would have your DS contact USAFA directly. I am certain they will give you the best path forward. Good Luck!
     
  20. USMAROTCFamily

    USMAROTCFamily 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    Messages:
    940
    Likes Received:
    441
    Sure, if she accepts the appointment to one, and then the 2nd academy offers, she can accept that one if it is her top choice. But, then she needs to let the first one know that she is declining. It would not be proper to accept both appointments without declining one of them.
     
    NavyHoops likes this.