Hello all, I am new to this forum and actually joined up just to ask this question! So heres my current situation: I am a current senior in high school and a candidate for USNA Class of 2017, and I also applied for NROTC (schools were MIT, Cornell, UVA, CMU, Gtech, in that order). A few weeks ago I received my LOA to the Academy. I have nomination interviews scheduled later this month. Yesterday I received a phone call from my local Navy recruiter, and he said that before he sent my application to the national pool he said his commanding officer had the power to guarantee a few candidates the scholarship to one of their selected schools, and that he was willing to give it to me. Of course I was ecstatic, this situation is beyond my wildest dreams . Now here is the thing. He said that he could only guarantee the scholarship, not a particular school, so it could be to any of my list of five. He also said that he needed a yes or no answer by Tuesday (this Tuesday!!! The day after Columbus day!). This decision would also be binding, so if I say yes with the hopes of getting into my first or second choice (which I would prefer over USNA), its possible that I might be awarded the scholarship to one of my 3rd, 4th or 5th choice schools (over which I prefer USNA). He said that his CO is also doing this partly because my school does not calculate class rank, which would hurt me in the national pool because apparently class rank is very important. Basically, he was saying that if I wanted NROTC that this is it. Now, my ideal situation would be first learning which school I would be assigned to then choosing between that plus the NROTC scholarship or USNA (if I get the Nomination as well). It really stinks that I must say Y/N to NROTC so soon, and that it will be binding. Thank you for bearing with me through this long post btw....anyways, I would like to know your opinion. Should I take the scholarship even though I might get a 4th/5th choice school to which I would prefer USNA? Do I decline this special offer and take my chances in the national pool and wait on USNA nominations? Lastly, I wanted to say that I had never heard of this type of guaranteed yet BINDING, short-notice, NROTC Scholarship offer. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I know that NROTC hates losing kids to USNA and I sincerely hope he isn't twisting the facts a little to nudge me towards accepting the NROTC scholarship. I want to become a Naval officer and serve my country either way, but I would still like to choose what I believe to be the best path for myself for the next four years! Sincere apologies for the long post, but I have so much going through my head right now. Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.