We are still waiting on word about either a NROTC or AROTC scholarship for my son. Given the choice, he would choose NROTC, but has no issue at all with AROTC if that's the one he gets. However, he is personally 100% locked in and committed to one school and one school only. It's his first choice for both scholarships. I know that it is possible that if he receives a scholarship and he doesn't get his first choice, that he can request a transfer. My question is though... what if the transfer is denied? If that happened, he would likely want to turn down the scholarship, go to the school as a walk on his first year, and reapply for a school-based scholarship. Is that "allowed?" Would he be shooting himself in the foot by doing that? He has not applied to any other school... he applied to this school and has been accepted, received some scholarship money from the school ($19,800, renewable each year if his grades are good), and is set to head there in the fall. There is no Plan B. The money he has already been awarded will cover a bit less than half of his total expenses. We *can* pay for the remainder out of pocket but would rather not, of course, and he does want military service. I know there are a lot of "ifs" here but I'm just trying to get a handle on what could happen... mostly trying to prepare myself and my husband mentally for him turning down a scholarship... and wondering if turning down a scholarship at the national level will hurt or prohibit his chances of getting a school-based scholarship.