USNA vs Plan B

FuriousWrecker

New Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
5
So if I still have the CPR status by May 1st, should I withdraw my application from consideration to USNA because my Plan B school has a deadline on that date. Would it be worth to decline my Plan B school and wait for a potential appointment to USNA or rescind my application and commit to my Plan B school? Any advice would be great!
 

wannabeplebe

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2017
Messages
206
So if I still have the CPR status by May 1st, should I withdraw my application from consideration to USNA because my Plan B school has a deadline on that date. Would it be worth to decline my Plan B school and wait for a potential appointment to USNA or rescind my application and commit to my Plan B school? Any advice would be great!
USNA says you will receive a final status by April 15. I'd assume they'll stick to their word (more or less) and would wait until that date passes to see if you are still CPR. Chances are, if you don't have a decision by that date, they'll contact you and explain that you're on the waitlist or whatever else. May 1st is the date for all civilian colleges (to my knowledge) to be notified and a deposit put down. If you really still haven't heard by May 1st, I'd put your deposit for Plan B down and if all goes well, USNA swill notify you they want you and at worst, you've lost a couple hundred dollars (versus the thousands you'd pay for tuition). If USNA is something you're really serious about, I would advise very strongly against rescinding your application because it eliminates all chances. I'm currently undergoing the process of college admissions myself this year so I'm not sure how committing to a school with an application still in works, but I know that people have been notified of appointments as late as June and I doubt they were just sitting around, no Plan B, waiting for that.
 

anne99

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
196
DS followed through with all college plans (deposit, dorm choice, meal plan purchase, orientation and class registration) as though USNA would not happen. For him, it was a good thing since he was turned down for appointment last year in the first wave of TWEs. He will go through the same thing this year, he made it through that first wave of TWEs but isn't taking any chances. We would have gladly lost all those payments if he had received an appointment. Small price to pay for "insurance".
 

NavyHoops

Super Moderator
10-Year Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
7,101
USNA is committed to informing candidates by April 15th. I can only remember one candidate on his forum who had not been informed by that date. Admissions was in contact with that candidate and was providing updates regularly. If you are wait listed to USNA, I recommend you continue with a Plan B. Many on the wait list won't know a final status until May or even June. If you want to go to USNA do not pull your application, let the proceeds play out, figure out your Plan B and be ready to execute either plan.
 
Joined
Jan 8, 2017
Messages
108
We have put in a deposit to our DS univ and dorm (Plan C) just in case Plan A (Air Force Academy) and Plan B (another univ) don't go as planned. To us it's insurance that's worth paying.

The USAFA instructions to candidates states "If you have not received an appointment by May 1, you should plan to exercise other options." Find out and follow if USNA has a similar guideline.
















































options.
 

time2

10-Year Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
1,774
USNA is committed to informing candidates by April 15th.

I agree. For the OP, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to decline your Plan B school WITHOUT having a USNA appointment. That path could leave you without a place to attend.
 
Top