New Member
Sep 14, 2019
Hello, I'm an MSII at my AROTC Battalion, in the process of getting my NG Minuteman scholarship and contracting, and this one condition I have is making me really worried about my upcoming physical in literally 2 days. I have IgA Nephropathy (Berger's Disease) and I found out about this back in June of this year (2019). I disclosed this condition on the medical survey on DoDMETS.

For those that don't know, it's a kidney disease that I inherited, from god knows who in my family (nobody knows haha), basically the IgA antibody builds up slowly in my kidney causing its functionality to worsen over time, no cure at all. My nephrologist said that the disease was caught very early and so now I'm on ACE Inhibitors (Enalapril - 5mg daily) for the rest of my life and on a strict low sodium diet.

I know there's no clear answer to my condition and if a waiver is possible, but if anyone has some wisdom to pass down onto me that would be nice haha. I'll be updating this thread about what happens and the ultimatum at the end of this obstacle.
Update 20 SEP

So I had my physical on 16 SEP. The doctor that was doing the physical didn't mention anything about my IgA Nephropathy, all she said was that my documentation about everything was thorough. Unfortunately, I did not have any medical documents to give at the time but have gotten most of the documents concerning my disease. I've also started the contracting paperwork with my battalion to get a head start. I'll be back with more news as soon as possible.

I just heard back from DoDMERB at 0950 today. Of course, the disqualification with IgA Nephropathy showed up, and it was the only one so far. The disqualification code is D174.60 History of acute nephritis or chronic kidney disease of any type. Fingers crossed on getting a remedial.
Did you get a waiver/remedial? I just found out I likely have the same condition. I've got 23 years of service though. I'm already in the guard, and found this out while trying to go back to active duty. All I need is 5 more years of active. I would like to know if this will allow me to continue my service as active duty or if I can even deploy or stay on flight status with this condition if I am diagnosed with it (will find out in a couple weeks after biopsy). …….if you were able to get a waiver, maybe I could too I'm hoping?
Jamesrm - Two different universes of questions. NOT a DoDMERB or accession medical decision. Your's will be decided by an MEB. The late onset; the progression; the functional impact; and prognosis will be some of the criteria that will be used in the Board's determination. :wiggle:
It may end up turning into MEB for my current position in the Army Guard. However to join active duty Air Force as prior service it is being treated as an accession since I am going through the pre-MEPS process for this now.
Ah, OK a different twist. That decision will be made by a new organization, AFRS/AMWD. Your Recruiter can pulse them, but a "What If" question will yield a response similar to: It will be reviewed on a case by case basis and they'll need to see all the associated medical documentation to include the diagnosis, biopsy results, etc., that you haven't received yet.
Thanks for your reply. I'm really curious how MATTYAROTC's situation ended up. Finishing my career has become so unclear after this.
our honor and privilege to serve :wiggle:
So after waiting about 4 months since my last update, nothing was happening. I checked in almost daily with my cadre and I was always told to wait. No updates have happened ever since. Now I'm out of the program. My doc says I'm still fine, so I will potentially be enlisting into the guard later in the future or may try ROTC again as a Grad student in the future. Hopefully by then, everything is still fine.